Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I'm an Army contractor. I live on an Army base, I eat in an Army dining facility (not referred to as a 'chow hall'), I buy stuff at an Army PX, etc. but I'm not in the Army, I am a civilian. There is a TV network here and the service is provided by... the Army. Until recently two of the shows on one channel were The Daily Show and The Colbert Report (both Comedy Central.) About a week ago they were replaced with a bad sitcom called Raven. You've never heard of Raven and there's a good reason why, it's that bad. I suspect that TDS and TCR were not 'pro-Army' enough and were quietly yanked. In addition, AFN doesn't run commercials but they do run all sorts of Pro-Army and Pro-God and Pro-Good Citizen, uh, stuff. Now I'm not 'anti' any of that but there comes a point where I get tired of it being bombarded by it. Just as I think the Government shouldn't legislate morality, I don't think the Army should be doing the same thing. Some would point out that I have don't have to watch it, that I do have a choice. Yea, I turned off the TV.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Chris in Iraq said…

    Bernie,

    Yes, TDS and Colbert have been moved to around 10 AM here. Now who can watch TV at 10 AM? No, I've not seen South Park in months.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    You can download colbert on itunes. I do that here in Bahrain.

    AFN isn't allowed to run commercials. I wish they'd just cut the commercial breaks for non-live events and stack them up at the top/bottom of the hour. Or compress the schedule and get more shows in.

    AFN radio is unlistenable. The DJ's are amazingly bad and the music is worse

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Maybe they changed your feed from atlantic to pacific.... I've seen that happen

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Chris in Iraq said…

    Thanks Kevin, wow, someone in Bahrain views my blog. Interesting..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home