Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I live in a 'hooch' here at Camp Anaconda. A hooch is a containerized housing unit (CHU). They're modular and generally it's one person per hooch. At Tallil they weren't stacked but they are stacked here at Anaconda as you can see. The hooches are generally made in Italy and then shipped around the world for instant housing. The units come come with the walls laid flat and you pretty much stand the walls up and attach the roof and that's it. Unfortunately the quality is not the best and they do leak. My hooch leaked terribly when it rain (directly on the bed) so I ended up moving the furniture around. Fortunately it doesn't rain much here.

Here's another pic of the rows of hooches. It doesn't show very well but there are about a dozen cat5 cablel crossing the top of the hooches here. Alot of people pay for internet service via a private satellite and then run their own little ISP. So internet service in your hooch, where you can get the 'good stuff' runs about $100/month. What's the 'good stuff' why YouTube and MySpace of course!



While the hooches house only one person right now, I would imagine in (insert your guess here) years, when the US pulls out of Iraq and turns everything over to the Iraqi that each hooch will house an Iraqi family of a dozen AND they'll STILL share a damn toilet. But he stan on the damn thing, they don't sit on it.


Here' s a pic of me after running at noon. I wouldn't say I run far and I wouldn't say that I run fast but I do get my lilly white arse out there and run at lunchtime.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Greg Marshall said…

    And I thought going back to Microsoft was traumatic! Dude, Looks pretty brutal there - Hell, when I run while I am in Palm Springs, I get tired after 20 minutes of running in the heat...I can't imagine how intense the heat must be there - damn.

    After reading your blog, I think I'll stop complaining about my rough life here where I have 2 Comcast accounts as well as a Verizon broadband card for when I am mobile for connectivity. You hardcore beotch!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home