Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Monday, June 02, 2008

02 Jun 08 Morning rabbit and Propaganda

I've been on night shift for about the last week or so and I think I'm
finally into a decent routine. I pretty much sleep all day and then
start my day at 7 PM and go till 7 AM. I then eat breakfast and go to
bed for 8-10 hours but I always wake up several time during the day.
There's not a lot of wildlife here but I have seen an occasional
jackal on base and since I've been on night duty, I've been seeing
this rabbit. He (or she?) is usually on the 'lawn' munching away at
the grass and flowers but I see him just about every night, I suspect
it's the same rabbit.
Also someone received a 'care package' of general stuff (mostly candy
and toiletry items from various hotels) along with 'feel-good
stories/God loves you' stuff. While it's really kind to be
appreciated for putting up with doing a job over here in this God
awful part of the world, from what I can tell from talking to soldiers
and other civilians we're over here to do a job and not espouse any
particular ideology. Yes, there are the 'onward Christian solider'
types who may see their purpose here as something bigger but I suspect
that there are many more soldiers who see themselves here since the
job is here and it's as simple as that. 'Soldering' can be a great
job but soldiers don't do everything so contractors factor in. And
some contractors do very well in this environment. Like a lot of
things in life, you just have to find your niche.
R/Chris

1 Comments:

  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Thumper (Mark) said…

    I like the perspective... it is just a job in Iraq and nothing more. With all the traveling I've done, I've seen lots of different ways that people live (some people in the U.S. would consider it poverty). But I've never met people who were truly unhappy.... Makes me think that we are way too spoiled here in the U.S. and for some reason we think no one else can be happy unless they see things our way..... OK, now I'll get down off my soap box...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home