Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Friday, August 11, 2006

So here I am in Iraq and I got a few personal questions from a friend in the states recently and I thought I'd answer them here since someone else might be interested in the questions and answers as well.

1. Do you have a personal life? Well yes, but only in the sense that my personal life involves people with whom I seem to work with everyday in one form or another. Officially there's to be no fraternization between military and non-military personnel but unofficially, I've seen it happen and unless someone complains, no action is taken on it. So in another sense no, I have no personal life here.

2. Am I running away from something, someone or just into money? No, I'm not running away from anyone or anything as much as I am running toward something. Frankly I was just a bit bored in the states and this opportunity came up and I really had no idea when I left for Kuwait what I'd be doing. I only knew it would be something very different and might be one of those opportunities that people sometimes wax poetically that they wished they'd taken. I knew there was a good chance I'd be shot at or have a mortar or rocket land near enough to wonder if my is updated. I also wondered whether or not it would bother/scare me and my attitude has been one of 'whoa, that was close, off to the bunkers!' One the road to this camp we drove past a place in the road where two contractors died about a week or so back. So you do have to think about it but if I die, I die. My biggest worry would be that I survive, but in a really fucked up state. (And yea, the money is good and I have no bills here.)

3. What do I want here? Well, I want something different. I want the experience. I want to do things that others say they wished they done if they would have had the chance. Well, living in a war zone is different. Other goals are to see some historical places that are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, I want to swim in one of Saddams' pools. Eh, there are other goals too, I just want to do something different for a while. I have a friend in Baghdad who works for the State department and he's having a blast (literally and figuratively - they get hit a lot there.) Anyway he recently sent a great pic of some members of this team nude sunbathing in Baghdad. That's different! I want to sunbath nude on a rooftop in Baghdad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home