Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Sunday, June 08, 2008

08 Jun 08 Sunday morning in Iraq/ Why no American Flag?

08 Jun 08 Sunday morning in Iraq/ Why no American Flag?

It's 0600 Sunday morning and there are more joggers out this morning
(as you can sorta make out in the pics below). A dust storm also
moved in over Balad around 0100 and it's pretty windy outside so maybe
the wind will pick up and we'll have a sand storm today. Even with
the dust, most people here I'd say are pretty dang healthy. The Army
does a great job of giving one about a dozen shots even before you
come over here. Also, AFN (the military TV network) doesn't have
'normal commercials but rather ones emphasizing eating vegetables,
using the MWR facilities and detailing the difference between a
Specific Power-of-Attorney and a General Power-of-Attorney.

Yesterday I happened to be thankful for such Army health services. I
ate breakfast at 7:10 AM and by the time I was done and walking to the
truck at 7:30 AM I had a serious full body rash and itching and a
slight tremble. Something I ate gave me a mild allergic reaction. I
went to the TMC (Troop Medical Center) and was pretty much seen
immediately, got a steroid shot and within an hour things were fine.
(I also got enough meds for 30 days but I doubt I'll take them!)

Also below you'll see the new flag poles outside the Battalion office.
Notice that there is only one flag (black POW/MIA flag). We cannot
fly the American flag here! There were units around the base that
were flying their state flags and the American flag but about 6 months
ago, they were discretely told to take down the American flag. Why -
host nation 'sensitivities'. Go figure.
R/Chris

1 Comments:

  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Thumper (Mark) said…

    On AFN, what U.S. shows do they have for you guys? Did you ever figure out what you had an allergic reaction to?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home