Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

02 August 11 A short R&R

02 August 11 A short R&R

First, again I've been remiss in updating and while I have excuses, it's really no excuse.  So I'm posting and stuff again.  So here goes.
As a contractor in Iraq, we get a break either every 4 or 6 months.  It just depends on your contract, etc.  Soldiers also get a 6 month break but many (but not all) get a 'weekend pass' in Qatar at the 3 and 9 months mark.  BUT of course with the drawdown everything is changing.  The main action is Afghanistan and NOT Iraq.  Whether or not the US will have any presence in Iraq after December in 5 months is anyone's guess.  (I think there will be such.)  But my last job will be closing this contract and moving on, when that happens. 
Anyway, I got a whole week off in July and got to fly to the US mainly to get some needed dental work. (Bridge fixed and a cleaning.)  To get out of Iraq I have to take milair (military aircraft) and above are a few pics inside the cramped C-130.  Under the new DoS (Dept of State) contract, we'll fly 'Embassy Air' (whatever that is.)  You can see how packed we are and honestly, it's dang hot and muggy inside (since it's 120F outside).  Our luggage is on a pallet in the back and you can see they threw a body on the very top! (Actually one of the air crew napping during the flight.)

I'll post more soon.
R/Chris


 

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home