Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Saturday, January 05, 2008

010508 In Iraq

My internet here sucks. I have to pay $300 a month so that I can access the internet from my hooch that allows me to connect to the 'good stuff'. The computers in the office (Army/Gov't) have blocked blogs, auctions, music and many other band-intensive sites. And the internet in my hooch can take 'forever' to upload a pic over 100kb. THUS this is my excuse for the last month. I was hoping it would get better, but it didn't and it probably won't.

Anyway, here are a few pics of me and the satellite dishes, me and our 'charley brown' christmas tree and me under the gazebo at 4:00 PM. It's the dead of 'winter' here so it rains (it rained a little today) and the sun sets early (the photos shows the long orange rays of the sun).

I've also chatted with a few guys online who actually are thinking of working over here. Well, they are hiring at all times and it is an adventure. The living conditions can be anything from a tent (I lived in a tent for 4 months initially) to multi-person barracks complete with bunkbed and snoring roommates to a 'hooch' that may or may not share a toilet and shower. Generally the work is 7 days a week, 12 hours a day in Iraq and Afghanistan unless you're in Kuwait (then it's 5 day x 8 hrs). The weather can be hot, really ridiculously Death Valley hot and dry. You'll also be on the other side of the world, so it's about 10,000 miles away from most places in the US (but shorter distance along a great circle path.) The biggest thing is that you don't really 'live' here, you just seem to do time. Everyday is a Ground Hog day (so to speak). I know its Friday when they serve fish at the DFAC. And so like the military here, prisoners and animals in a zoo, everyday is the same dang thing except on Holidays when we get a really nice meal.

There are pluses though, you do get an adventure.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home