Chris in Iraq

Chris in Iraq

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

02 Aug 11 Kuwait sucks

02 Aug 11  Kuwait sucks
The first stop on my R&R is Kuwait.  Civ and mil from both Iraq and Afghanistan fly to Kuwait in order to catch either a commercial flight (United 981 KWI to IAD non-stop) or the freedom flight (mostly military) to either Atlanta or Dallas and generally not non-stop.
By Kuwait, I mean the Ali Al Salem airbase about 60 miles west of Kuwait City in the middle of the desert.I have to stay here in a tent until my flight is ready and Ali has been here for years now.  Some of the tents are getting pretty raggy and as you can see need to be replaced.  Also you can see what it looks like in side.  It's pretty much just bunk beds and a bare mattress.  Any sheets or blankets you may want you'll have to purchase at the PX.  Also the weather in Kuwait (on this trip) was particularly bad.  It was blowing dust and sand during the day and again, damn hot.  With my 'bank robber' mask I'd be sucking in a lot of dust and there is some bad stuff in that dust.  New guys here get the 'kuwait-crud' which is your basic upper respiratory infection.  Fortunately I'm either immune to it or the bank robber mask worked. 
R/Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home